Holy Saturday, April 15
In the beginning, when God created the heavens and the earth,…God said, “Let the water under the sky be gathered into a single basin, so that the dry land may appear.”…God saw how good it was.
Then God said: “Let there be lights in the dome of the sky,…God saw how good it was…
Then God said, “Let the water teem with an abundance of living creatures, and on the earth let birds fly beneath the dome of the sky.”…Then God said, “Let the earth bring forth all kinds of living creatures:…God saw how good it was.
God created man in his image;…male and female he created them. God blessed them, saying: “Be fertile and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it. Have dominion over the fish of the sea, the birds of the air, and all the living things that move on the earth.”… And so it happened. God looked at everything he had made, and he found it very good. (Genesis 1: 1-31)
God made creation “good.” Perhaps other words for that could be holy or sacred. Creation has been given to us to sustain and reflect God’s goodness. So how are we doing? “Living lightly” on planet earth is one way to sustain it, for example, comsuming less, creating less waste by recycling more, and not setting our hearts on things to make us happy.
Last May, Pope Francis provided us with a beautiful guide to caring for God’s creation in his encyclical Laudato Si: On Care for our Common Home. You can amplify your efforts by working with environmental organizations and for political solutions.
As our mourning this Holy Week comes to an end, it is now our job as faithful stewards to act.
Susan Vogt writes the “Living Lightly” blog and welcomes readers.
Readings for Holy Saturday, April 15
- Reading 1, Genesis 1:1-2:2, or Genesis 1:1, 26-31A
- Responsorial Psalm, Psalm 104:1-2, 5-6, 10, 12, 13-14, 24, 35, or Psalm 33:4-5, 6-7, 12-13, 20 & 22
- Reading 2, Genesis 22:1-18, or Genesis 22:1-2, 9A, 10-13, 15-18
- Responsorial Psalm, Psalm 16:5, 8, 9-10, 11
- Reading 3, Exodus 14:15—15:1
- Responsorial Psalm, Exodus 15:1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 17-18
- Reading 4, Isaiah 54:5-14
- Responsorial Psalm, Psalm 30:2, 4, 5-6, 11-12, 13
- Reading 5, Isaiah 55:1-11
- Responsorial Psalm, Isaiah 12:2-3, 4, 5-6
- Reading 6, Baruch 3:9-15, 32C4:4
- Responsorial Psalm, Psalm 19:8, 9, 10, 11
- Reading 7, Ezekiel 36:16-17A, 18-28
- Responsorial Psalm, Psalm 42:3, 5; 43:3, 4, or Isaiah 12:2-3, 4BCD, 5-6, or Psalm 51:12-13, 14-15, 18-19
- Epistle, Romans 6:3-11
- Responsorial Psalm, Psalm 118:1-2, 16-17, 22-23
- Gospel, Matthew 28:1-10
- Click here to go to USCCB Readings for Holy Saturday, April 15.