Wednesday, April 5, to Saturday, April 8
The Gospel for April 8th is the continuation of the story of the raising of Lazarus in John 11 that we heard on April 2nd. After Jesus calls Lazarus out of his tomb, many of the inhabitants of nearby Jerusalem who had come to comfort the grieving family hurried back to tell the amazing story. It quickly spread throughout the city, leading the Jewish leaders to observe that if they do nothing “all will believe in him, and the Romans will come and take away both our land and our nation.”
The High Priest Caiaphas declares that it is better that “one man should die instead of the people, so that the whole nation may not perish.” Jesus’ great act of love for his friend Lazarus and his family thus leads these leaders to the decision that they must deal with Jesus in the most final way. The well-oiled Roman execution machinery engulfs him, and he dies a death that surely is the equal of the worst that any human could suffer. Jesus understood the risk he had taken in heading back across the Jordan and so did his disciples. Before they set out, Thomas said, “Let us also go to die with him.” Although he has more of a reputation as a skeptic, we should honor Thomas for his bravery and pray we might have the courage to accompany the Lord as far as we are given the grace to go.
Readings for Wednesday, April 5
- Reading 1, Daniel 3:14-20, 91-91, 95
- Responsorial Psalm, Daniel 3:52, 53, 54, 55, 56
- Verse Before Gospel, Luke 8:15
- Gospel, John 8:31-42
- Click here to go to USCCB Readings for April 5.
Readings for Thursday, April 6
- Reading 1, Genesis 17:3-9
- Responsorial Psalm, Psalm 105:4-5, 6-7, 8-9
- Verse Before Gospel, Psalm 95:8
- Gospel, John 8:51-59
- Click here to go to USCCB Readings for April 6.
Readings for Friday, April 7
- Reading 1, Jeremiah 20:10-13
- Responsorial Psalm, Psalm 18:2-3A, 3BC-4, 5-6, 7
- Verse Before Gospel, John 6:63C, 68C
- Gospel, John 10:31-42
- Click here to go to USCCB Readings for April 7.
Readings for Saturday, April 8
- Reading 1, Ezekiel 37:21-48
- Responsorial Psalm, Jeremiah 31:10, 11-12ABCD, 13
- Verse Before Gospel, Ezekiel 18:31
- Gospel, John 11:45-56
- Click here to go to USCCB Readings for April 8.