“They are just very, very harmed individuals, and even when it happened such a long time ago, they are still exceedingly emotional about what happened.” (Camille S. Biros, compensation mediator)
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Brooklyn announced a program on Thursday (Jun. 22) that will seek to compensate hundreds of victims who were abused as children by its priests and deacons.
“The program is modeled on one begun last year by the Archdiocese of New York. Like that program, it will be run by Kenneth R. Feinberg and Camille S. Biros, mediators who administered the September 11th Victim Compensation Fund and awarded compensation to victims of abuse by Jerry Sandusky at Pennsylvania State University.
“‘I am well aware that no amount of money will ever heal the scars of abuse, but this program is a concrete expression of our contrition and our desire to make amends,’ Bishop Nicholas DiMarzio said in a written statement. ‘We hope it will help with the healing process and bring survivors some element of healing …
“Ms. Biros said that the main lesson learned by the mediators in New York so far was how hurt the victims are.
“‘They are just very, very harmed individuals and even when it happened such a long time ago, they are still exceedingly emotional about what happened.'”
By Sharon Otterman, The New York Times — Read more …
Filed under: Clergy Sexual Abuse, Voice of the Faithful Tagged: abuse victims, accountability, Brooklyn Diocese, Camille Biros, catholic church, child sex abuse, child sexual abuse, clergy sexual abuse, clergy sexual abuse scandal, Kenneth Feinberg, New York Archdiocese, roman catholic church, sexual abuse scandal, Sharon Otterman, The New York Times, voice of the faithful